Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Laniakea: Design Adjustment


After I had decided the design of the fantasy aquascape, I started to think about how to present the work. Since the tank is going to be quite big, I prefer the steel framed stand to a big chunk of wood plinth. A 1x1x1m plinth would be overly eye-catching.

As some of the work need to be hung in the air, some of the designs have the structure for hanging if there is no existing structure in the show space. Also, I thought about other forms of the tank, bringing some changes rather than just having a square tank. 

After the tutorial, I began to question myself that whether the current design can tell the story. Still, the concept is a little chaotic. It feels like I rubbed too many ideas together but haven't digested them. The design is too safe as well, in term of innovation. 

Based on what I thought, I had two new ideas. 

One will still use the square tank, but the world inside will be divided into three parts. These worlds are in different dimensions. Things to one are like something else to the other. The living beings who live on the bottom of the tank are collecting rocks from rocky mountains pointing down from the sky. To them, the mountains provide rocks for their clothes and houses, but in another aspect, the mountains are universes. They just exist in a mountain form. These mountains to another group of beings living underneath the water surface are sacred that they sacrifice themselves and sustain the mountains. However, to the beings living above the water, the world beneath them is just a reflection of their own world. They are talking and chatting, having no idea that their speech bubbles become new universes. 

The second idea is around the idea of parallel universe bubbles. Say some beings are chatting, no idea that their speech bubbles split into more and more universes. But these beings are also in one of the universe bubbles. I am not going to use glass tank. The tank will be made of ceramic, and with a glass in the front. Ideally, by giving a background to my other ceramic work, there will be a strong connection between the tank and the work. However, there are some technical problems I need to figure out. 




Considering the reality, I listed out the things I need or works I need to make for different designs.





After I had a tutorial with Maiko, I decided to go for the final design. So I refined the design a little. Influenced by a book called A Graphic Cosmogony, I introduced some geometric elements.  







No comments:

Post a Comment