Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2015

Artist: Ken Price


Kenneth Price was an American ceramic artist and printmaker. I found a book about his sculpture in the library and find his works are inspiring. 

The body of his sculptures were made of clay, painted with acrylic paints or lacquer and then got sanded. 

I was attracted by the organic form of his work and the variety of the colour, giving a feeling of alien and bizarreness.






The following works remind me the skill we use in lacquer paintings. We accumulated layers of lacquer together, applying the next one after the previous one getting dry. Then we sand the lacquer back to flat, polishing with sand papers, oil and flour.






The following work, with dark background and light spots, gives a feeling of the universe to me, which is what I am trying to achieve with glazes. I am planning to do some tests with glazes and see if I can get this kind of effect.





No comments:

Post a Comment