Search This Blog

Friday 29 May 2015

Laniakea: Form Experiment 6


Apart from the biggest universe bubble aquarium,  I am going to make other smaller bubbles floating around it. The following two works are middle sizes, with landscape setting inside. Other smaller bubbles are only spheres. 

For these two works, I will introduce plants and lighting, but no glass in the front or water inside. 

1. Cave

The following images show the inspiration and the sketch. The triangular forms in the middle have the same origin as the mountain like forms in the biggest tank, which are parallel universes or worlds. What different is that the forms are minerals in this world. The locals collect this kind of minerals as their clothes and portable houses. 

There is a gap between the minerals and the sphere that I can hide some small lights inside the gap.



2. Forest

Before I changed my design from a big square tank where every setting is one the same surface to several sphere tanks, I only planned to have one landform, which is desert. But rethinking about it now, I found it could increase some diversity to my work by introducing some other landforms. That is why I have the cave and the forest. In the future, if I have time, I might design more.

The following images show the inspiration and the sketches. 

To enrich this piece, I want to plant some flytraps. I found there were various flytraps in the Chelsea Flower Show. They looked absolutely astonishing and alien, which are suitable to my fantasy landscape. I got a flyer from the flytrap nursery that they can deliver the planted plants in one day.

The flytraps will be planted underneath the ceramic piece inside the sphere, and grow through the holes. I am looking forward to glazing them, and finishing the setting.





No comments:

Post a Comment