Search This Blog

Monday 22 June 2015

Laniakea: Refining final big aquarium


Because this work is hollow, thin and big, I can only fire it with the front side facing down, which means I cannot have any glazes on this side. 

I planned cover the front side with acrylic after glaze firing. But before that, I painted some iron oxide so that I don't need to start from light colour. At the beginning, I applied a relatively thick layer. Then Tas and Yuta thought the oxide may get sticked to the board if it is too thick. So I wiped most of it off. It turned out to be the colour in the following image.

One thing that I am not satisfied is that the shape of the front ring changed to a less visually pleasing direction. The other thing is that at the back of the work, a part of the glaze shrinked so that it didn't cover all the body.

Since there is a little crack on the front ring, it was not recommended to reglaze and fire again. The crack will get worse. So the only thing I can do at the moment is retouching the work with acrylics.

Before retouching and the plinth I made.
Firstly, I used black with blue, red, and ochre to give it a dark base. It turned out that acrylics can cover the light surface without any problem.


Then I used light colours to add details to the surface. For example, the extension of the glaze and the yellow sparkles on the glaze.


I think I did the retouching quite successfully. The work definitely looks much better than before. You can barely see the difference if you step back. The only thing that can be improved is the glossiness. Acrylics are matt and the glaze is glossy. I would try some acrylic gloss varnish on something else and see if it will help unify the colour.

Front

Back



No comments:

Post a Comment