Search This Blog

Friday 12 June 2015

Laniakea: Final Glazing 1


The following work is one of my final pieces, the biggest one, which will be an actual tank. 


Inside:

Outer ring: 
ASO1 (Ivory Coast 629) + ASO4 (Dama de Noce FE5713)



Inside sphere: 
Base: BSO 11 (BOTZ 9898 Ice Crystal)
Patterns: 
BSO 10 (Mayco Night Sky EL209)
BSO 12 (BOTZ Bright Blue 9879)
BSO 13 (BOTZ Indigo 9889)








Outside:
ASO1+ASO5/6 ( Black Iris CG 798/ Obsidian CG 786)


Front Ring: Iron Oxide

For the glaze firing, I am planning to fire the work in the direction I showed in the first image. Which means the actual front side will be facing the bottom during firing. Because the work is big and thin, with no supports inside. If I fire it like the first test piece (following image), it may collapse. Not to mention, this is a hair thin crack on the front ring which may crack badly. 

By putting the front side facing down, the ring can keep flat that the glass can fit the work better in the later process. However, to do this, I cannot glaze the front ring. I was suggested that I can paint the front with oxides or underglazes. Then when I retouch it with acrylic after firing, I don't need to start with white. It is not ideal, but it is the only solution I can come up with at the moment. I will do my best to make it look better.





No comments:

Post a Comment