Search This Blog

Thursday 13 November 2014

Morley College - Watercolour Course 1, 2


In the Wednesday morning, I am taking watercolour course in Morley College for 6 weeks. I learnt watercolour when I was in BA, but the style was different. I am more keen to british watercolour style. Through this course, I would like to improve my understanding of this material, the way of using brush, and my skill. In a way, I think it may help me interpreting my ideas and finding inspiration. The class itself is a nice place to get concentrate. It is like my time stopped that I can finally think.

5.11.2014

This is the first one I painted that I did it according to a photo. I quite like the use of dry brush in the middle, and satisfy with the choice of colour. However, I would think there are so many details going on that the distance of the space is unable to be shown. 


Then I did the second one. There were some nice details of the ice I liked, now covered by other layers of colour, because I wanted to unify the colour block. 


The teacher encouraged us not to fill the whole paper, leaving space for painting to breath, like in the traditional Chinese or Japanese painting, instead of have a ugly rectangular edge. So I did the third one in a abstract way, which was a photo of glacier. I really like the effect of water wash that I think it enrich the painting. I would like to try more in the following weeks.


The classroom 


I quite like this old lady's work. They are relaxed, abstract but you can still recognise the landscapes.


I enjoy the class. The atmosphere in the class is so peaceful, everyone immersing in their paintings. It is like a place that I can pull myself out of the reality and think about things that I normally couldn't.


12.11.2014

A book that may be useful.


Tutor showed how to play with the colour after wetting the paper, adding, wiping, and changing.


The first one I did that day. The original photo was a snow mountain peak. I clearly felt that I lost in the details during painting, such as the exact shapes and colours. This problem always happens, not only in my paintings, but also in my 3D works. I found if I do it fast and get my head more away from the paper, the situation would be better.


I would say the second one is better, at least I can see it is a mountain with clouds around it. I can tell the snow facing the sun and the rock back to it.


The tutor recommend me to find a way to express darker colour by using colour itself rather than putting so many layers. For example, there are many blue are naturally darker than yellow.

Afterwards, I did some exercises at home. This is one of them which I quite like. I gradually had a feeling about how to paint the light side and the dark side when I did the mountain. And I like the sky at the right hand side. It gives a hint of clouds, but not too strong to fight against the front.




No comments:

Post a Comment