Search This Blog

Sunday 15 February 2015

Laniakea: Form Experiment 2


In the second form experiment, I made two in Terracotta which were slightly smaller than the first two, and one smaller than these two, witch a pair of much smaller one in pink grog clay. I am planning to make them one by one shorter 2cm than the previous one. 

A pair, like in the following photo, would form a piece of work. By making this small pair, I can see how the work might look like from the front. And I am going to make 6-9, one side of the work, which will allow me to see how they look like from the side. 

Pink grog clay, SW, before firing.
From side
After bisque fire

Pink grog clay, SW, before firing.
This clay, though sometimes lacks of plasticity, is easy to be manipulated. Compared to terracotta, this clay is stronger, because of the grog inside, that the form coming out to be neater. It might be more suitable for me, since I am not really a patient person. Terracotta dries slower than this clay, and if I am not patient enough to wait until the best time to work wit terracotta, that might affect the appearance of my work.


It might also because after making a few of them, I am getting more experienced in making this form, which gives me an illusion that this clay is easier to be used.


In the following image, the right two were made last time, while the left two were made later. They were all made of terracotta. From this side, I can see I had better control in making their shapnow. The smallest one is more closed to what I want to make.

Terracotta, EW, after bisque fire.
However, if you look them from this side, I should do better in estimating the shrinkage and their size. The difference between their height is not clear enough.


In this image, it seems that I need to make at least another two to construct a slope that I want.


The angles of their top are not in the same tendency, or direction. I need to pay attention to that in the following making.


I placed these two bigger one together, just trying different composition.


When I thought about 'how universe was created', one of my idea was perhaps to some creatures, they sacrificed their life, or physical existence to form the universe to other creatures.

Here are two small test pieces I made.

To the left one, these creatures have already piled up into the triangular shape, then their own feature will become blur, eventually becoming the triangular mountain like universe. As to the one on the right, the creatures are still constructing the shape. One is trying to climb on to others. 

To reach the whole idea, there will be some creatures are heading to these creatures' direction, preparing to become the next brick.



The reason I had this idea may to do with the fact that sometimes the society will ask people to sacrifice their own benefits for a group's, or the society's, even the whole human race's benefits. Naturally I would think it is unfair, but some people, they may have no choice, or they can also benefit from it, or they have certain awareness that they are willing to, will support these decisions. I think, partly because of their support, some tremendous things or works can be done. 

Like the crafts men who built the 
pyramid, which might not be the best example. According to some recent research, they had pay, and treated well, even the work was tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment