Search This Blog

Saturday 31 May 2014

Exhibition:The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier



This exhibition is in Barbican Centre, shows Jean Paul Gaultier's amazing cutting-edge fashion creations from early 1970s to present day.

I was astonished by his photographies, videos and some of the clothes in the second floor, which I am going to show them in this post. And I also like the little trick that each model has its own moving face. Each face is a video, talking, smiling, or even singing, which is projected on the model.

For the rest of his works , I felt disappointed by their bad quality that I suspected they are the original clothes he made. To me, they are more like just for exhibition with poor fabrics and details. 



I like these works is both because of shape he designed as well as the colour combination or contradiction in his clothes and the environment. Together they give a feeling of mysterious, surreal, wired but charming. 

The picture above for example, the cloth and the golden ring behind her head remind me Virgin Mary who is considered to be holy. But the strong colour, her make-up, facial expression and her half covered body make me think about lust.


So as to this one, I really like the contrast between purple and yellow, her doll-like face and the delicate accessory around her face. 



This beautiful lady together with the reflection of other models on the glass is like a world of goest. Especially when the picture is in a cold yellow and blue tone, the picture feels cold, misty and a little sad.


To me, the combination of these colours can easily give a feeling of colourful fantasy world. In my memory, there are lots of work, like illustration, animation or computer games, etc using this kind of colour to create a world of fantasy. 

Paul Lehr
Itchiku Kubota
I am wondering why this kind of colour mixture can give me this feeling. It reminds me autumn, sun set, nebulas in the space, which to me, is all about romantic, magical, fascinating. I like the changing of these colours as well as the little contrast between them. It is like fire, full of vitality. And I am a moth that couldn't stop myself from darting into it. 

I really want to achieve this kind of colour in my ceramic. For now I only made it in raku fire, but I don't think it can be put into water. As far as I am concerned, I can either do a lot of tests about glaze along with the development of my idea or try to make landscape in fish-tank.



As to the following works, I am interested in the way that he played with fabrics and ribbons. There are so many details and dramatic shapes that keep attracting my eyes.









These hats give me a idea of plants growing out of something or someone's face. And if it is in the water, the plants will grow upwards, which is like floating up.









Recently I drew some sketches inspired by Leon Bakst's costume design. I didn't think that much when I drew them. I just found those costumes can inspire me, so I abstracted some elements from them and drew a few sketches. 

Then I found out not all of his work can give me inspiration, only those related to Persia or India. These civilisations are more mysterious and attractive to me. I think it probably because of two works I saw when I was a child. One is a movie called Little Princess, which full of elements from India, bringing me a beautiful imagination. The other one is a fiction from Japan. In the story, there is a empire in the future based on Persia, including the architectures, clothing, etc. The illustration of the book is great that leave me a deep impression.

Compared to  Leon Bakst's work, Gaultier's works are more modern and fashion, having stronger power. I like their impact. 

I may get some ideas from this exhibition, but I am not sure for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment